Saturday 24 May 2008

According to my UK newspaper today,

fortune tellers are now forced to admit that there is no proof in their claims. Psychics must now inform would be clients that their services are "for entertainment only".

The Spiritualist Workers' Association says that: "We do not believe we are conducting scientific experiment. To have us stand up and say so is a denial to our beliefs. It is also sending out the message that we do not believe what we are saying and doing".

Fortune tellers at funfairs will have to display a sign in the form of a disclaimer at their place of work stating that their work is not "experimentally proven".

Lawyers say that spiritualists and mediums who claim to have the powers to contact the dead and faith healers offering cures through the laying-on of hands will also have to post warning on their websites. Anyone who is found to be breaking the law could end up in court and be fined up to £5.000 ($10,000) or land a two year jail sentence.

This measure is part of the biggest overhaul of consumer legislation for 40 years. Its purpose is to tighten controls on everything from door-to-door selling to children's advertising.

The new rules state that anyone offering a service must not be aggressive to buyers, engage in unfair practices or post misleading statements.An outraged clairvoyant, Lyn Guest de Swarte argues that it was; "Like trying to regulate God".

Well now, seeing as she has raised the spectre of God, shouldn't similar measures be taken at churches? Shouldn't churches be ordered to display notices outside stating:

"Our work IS NOT experimentally proven"?

and:

"Open For Your Entertainment Only."


Food for thought here!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Mansfield, United Kingdom
I am over 79. Up to a couple of years ago I'd have described myself as fit and decisive. Now I'm not so sure. I am into DIY. If my wife asks me to do something I say; "Do It Yourself".....Click on my Older Posts for more reading. Or try: http://www.chrisbeach.co.uk/viewQuotes.php