Sunday 25 November 2007

Around the World Yacht Racing.


Race You Around The Island


I much admire the like of Ellen MacArthur and her sailing mates and their solo circumnavigations of the globe. And I hold plenty of respect for their achievements but I can't help feeling that these trips are more like 27,000 miles "Around the Island" than around the world.

Take a look at the "Around the World" course on a globe of the world and you will see what I mean. Their route takes them straight down the Atlantic, they turn left at the bottom of Africa, sail around Antarctica and then it's straight back up the Atlantic again to home.


Surely there must be a more apt route to circumvent Earth.

How about starting at the Panama Canal, go across the Atlantic, around South Africa, then Tasmania and then cross the Pacific back to Panama Canal?

Picture courtesy of: Download-Free-Pictures.com

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Mansfield, United Kingdom
I am over 79. Up to a couple of years ago I'd have described myself as fit and decisive. Now I'm not so sure. I am into DIY. If my wife asks me to do something I say; "Do It Yourself".....Click on my Older Posts for more reading. Or try: http://www.chrisbeach.co.uk/viewQuotes.php