Thursday 15 November 2007

Deviants.

What is a deviant?
.
Something "normal" is something that the majority of people (more than 50%) feel is right and acceptable.
.

To describe someone as a "deviant" means that that person isn't doing what is considered "normal" in society. What is "normal"?
.

Roughly 8% of adults are gay. Are they all to be regarded as deviant by the rest of the population? It used to be the case not long ago.
.

Atheism is still a minority sport (as yet), am I to be regarded as deviant for denying the existance of gods?
.

If government statisticians suddenly found that paedo's and homo's slightly outnumbered hetero's would that mean that we heterosexuals would then be regarded as the deviants?
.

My mind is starting to boggle now. Our Royal Family is in the minority over here. Are we to regard them as deviants too!? (You don't have to answer that question, should your reply demand your imprisonment in The Tower).
.

We live in a society based on "The Norm". Anyone even vaguely straying from this set path is regarded as; "not quite kowsher" and can find themselves ostracized.
.

Frinstance, if one chooses to let their garden return to nature in order to help assist in the generation of local wildlife, their neighbours' would be apt to throw up their hands in despair, complain about the weeds and the look of the garden and contact the local authorities to complain.
.

And if more than 50% disagree with this post, does that mean I am a deviant?
.

There's an old adage that goes something like:


You can fool all of the people some of the time,
you can fool some of the people all of the time,
but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.

Politicians especially, should always bear that in mind. I'm off to weed the garden.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Mansfield, United Kingdom
I am over 79. Up to a couple of years ago I'd have described myself as fit and decisive. Now I'm not so sure. I am into DIY. If my wife asks me to do something I say; "Do It Yourself".....Click on my Older Posts for more reading. Or try: http://www.chrisbeach.co.uk/viewQuotes.php