Sunday 1 June 2008

Malta.

Danny, one of my MySpace friends asked;

Have you been to Malta?!

Yes thank you, THREE TIMES!!! Three holidays we have spent on Malta, my wife and I. It's one of those places that you either like very much or you detest. I like Malta very much. I love the aspect of "Time Travel" and the islands give you that in spades (you'll need the spades for filling in the potholes in the neglected roads). We love the laid back attitude of the Maltese and the weather is for the most part gorgeous.

We've not been for a few years now but when last there in the 90s the place hadn't changed since our first visit in the 80s. Still the same heap of gravel and sand in exactly the same place where it had been left on a street corner for at least ten years to my knowledge. I think they are still waiting for the cement. The Maltese are so far laid back that it's a wonder they don't fall over.

The very first time we holidayed on Malta we arrived at two o'clock on a drizzly morning at an airport consisting of one or two dilapidated sheds. Our shuttle buses picked us up and set off through darkened streets along what appeared to be a ploughed field (the roads were very bad at that time). From the steamed up bus windows the place reminded me of Beirut as we sped past what appeared to be numerous bomb damaged buildings. WE eventually arrived at our hotel, shaken but stirred only slightly.

After the usual rigmarole of checking in we found our room and flopped on the bed, glad to be able to relax and get a bit of welcome sleep before getting up for breakfast at eight. We both went out like a light. What seemed all too soon we were awoken by the sound of traffic and car horns. (They do have a sort of automobile official test system on Malta. If the horn works they pass the car as fit to drive.) The room was still in almost pitch darkness with just a chink of sunlight filtering through the heavy ceiling to floor curtains so I made my way over to the french windows and drew them back. Christ almighty! It was a beautiful bright sunny morning and the panoramic view over the vast sweep of azure Sliema bay was breathtaking.

I returned to the bed and my wife and I just sat there and drank in the view. Spectacular. I fell in love with Malta because of that view alone.Though there are very few sandy beaches on Malta (there's no tidal activity as such to create and maintain them) though there are plenty of smooth flat rocks that soon are heated by the sun. The water is crystal clear and shelves off quite steeply to almost fathomless bottoms which is ideal for aqua diving. But there are many smaller coves and pools that are replenished continually by the Mediterranean and very safe for none swimmers and children.

We aren't Hotel Bar people, my missus and I, so we went walkabout around the streets nearby. And just at the rear of our hotel we found an ideal little taverna with a small courtyard set out with a few tables and chairs. That was to become our "local". The beer was low alcohol but very cheap which is ideal drinking in hot climates. We were in heaven.

The really old rickety buses and matching cars are an education. I almost got tired of spotting an old banger, a model that I had either owned or driven at some time in my younger days. And with them driving on the left hand side (or the shady side of the road on really hot days) same as us, it made it even more nostalgic.

Thanks for reminding me Danny.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Mansfield, United Kingdom
I am over 79. Up to a couple of years ago I'd have described myself as fit and decisive. Now I'm not so sure. I am into DIY. If my wife asks me to do something I say; "Do It Yourself".....Click on my Older Posts for more reading. Or try: http://www.chrisbeach.co.uk/viewQuotes.php