Saturday 15 December 2007

Countdown to Truth.

This post is only for those who watch the "COUNTDOWN" show on TV.



My wife and I have followed Countdown since the very first show round about 25 years ago and have found it very theraputic in helping us to harmlessly vent our bad feelings.


In the days of the late Richard Whitely it was mostly shouts of GET ON WITH IT!! when he went into one of his renowned rambles.

Dictionary corner would (and still does) raise cries of "THICK PRETENTIOUS PILLOCKS!! when the current invited guest makes a big thing of "coming up with" THREE eight letter words and one NINE letter word (two of the words so obscure that they're hard to believe) and sitting there all smug as if they were the cleverest people on the planet when YOU and I and the dog know that the producer is sitting off camera with an electronic computerised "Wordsearch Dictionary" and relaying the information to those in dictionary corner via headphones or monitor.

Plenty of people have written to the show about this "cheating" but have all been fobbed off with blatant lies. Why don't they come clean and admit it instead of denying it?

If they can only do that we will carry on forgiving them for trying to make out that the show is LIVE.

Now THAT really must be a challenge - especially when, for instance - Carol has made the front pages of all the newspapers by almost falling out of her dress at some function or other and yet there isn't one word about it on the program.

Or a bomb goes off in Leeds or Manchester killing a dozen or so people and it doesn't even warrant a mention! And yet it is a YORKSHIRE made show!

By the way Countdown, Des is doing a great but doesn't seem quite settled in the job, and his persistant shouts of - "Hey?" and "Pardon?" when contestants' call out their words and with his failing hearing he doesn't quite catch it.

Maybe Carol could take the chair and do the whole show sitting down. We know she wants to. And it would save us the shouts of - "What the hell has she got on now?" as she shows off her newly acquired Oxfam shop couture.

Now that really is something to shout about.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Mansfield, United Kingdom
I am over 79. Up to a couple of years ago I'd have described myself as fit and decisive. Now I'm not so sure. I am into DIY. If my wife asks me to do something I say; "Do It Yourself".....Click on my Older Posts for more reading. Or try: http://www.chrisbeach.co.uk/viewQuotes.php