Monday 10 December 2007

Thurso to Lands End (via John O'Groats)

Long Distance Walking.




Back in 1993, as a young man of fifty three, I was backpack hiking in UK from Thurso to Lands End (via John O' Groats). Most of my route took in road walking plus footpaths when ever possible or practicable.

After three weeks pounding the pavement I was making good progress until I got to within about 30 miles of Hereford where a painful swelling on my left shin started giving me grief. I pressed on but after another dozen miles or so it got so bad that I thought I had better turn in early at a farm for B'n'B and some comfortable surroundings, even though the weather was beautiful for camping.

The next morning the pain appeared to have lessened so I decided to press on.

I had walked no more than a couple of miles or so when my left leg started to give me real agony making progress impossible. I reckoned that it was most likely a stress fracture and reluctantly decided to call a halt to my venture and go home to recuperate.

I caught the very next bus into Shrewsbury, hobbled into the railway station there to ask for a fare to Nottingham. At the ticket office I asked the clerk how much a single one way ticket to Nottingham would be :

"A single one way fare to Nottingham would be £28.50" she said, "but if you'd like to delay your booking for about an hour you can purchase a return ticket and it'll only be £22.35" (?)

I'm no fool, I took the return option and went for a cup of tea and a bun.

Back in my home town I paid a visit to my doctor who assured me that it was just a little strain (shin splint) and that it would clear up within a few days of rest.

Three days later I used the remaining half of my return ticket and took the train back to Shrewsbury where I caught a bus back to where I'd broken my 900+ mile hike only a few days earlier and proceeded to finish the walk in grand style. I suffered no injuries but I did lose seven toenails.

It would have been nice to have taken my dog but I had left him behind fearing it would hamper my progress and make acquiring Bed 'n' Breakfast that much more difficult. But I'd advise anyone who believes that there isn't room for dogs on hikes to read Mark Wallington's book: "500 Mile Walkies" (Arrow Books). I believe it's still in print so if you can locate a copy you should buy, beg, borrow or steal it. Please do yourself and your chuckle muscles a real favour and read it. If it doesn't open closed minds then nothing will.

Happy wandering.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Mansfield, United Kingdom
I am over 79. Up to a couple of years ago I'd have described myself as fit and decisive. Now I'm not so sure. I am into DIY. If my wife asks me to do something I say; "Do It Yourself".....Click on my Older Posts for more reading. Or try: http://www.chrisbeach.co.uk/viewQuotes.php