Tuesday 4 December 2007

Crime and Punishment.

Education Education Education.



One would have to be a complete deadbrain not to take heed of the official prisoners v recorded crime figures. It's obvious, even to a relatively uneducated nobody like me, that mandatory prison sentencing for the majority of crimes would lessen the rate of crimes being committed.

The fact that a lot of crime is perpetrated by the uneducated who cannot (even if willing) find useful employment because of their illiteracy and innumeracy, also helps point the way to furthering the education standards of these villains whilst they are undergoing their incarceration.

As quite a number of otherwise decent and educated members of society also find themselves locked up at her Majesty's or any Government's pleasure - mostly for white collar crimes - there should be no shortage of teacher material behind bars who would be more than willing to carry out the education of lesser inmates rather than be on rock breaking or mailbag sewing detail.

Further more, as a spur to these prisoner's undergoing educational enlightenment, it should be a prerequisite of "early" release from prison that they gain a working knowledge of the three r's; with perhaps an "A" in media studies (that's a joke and the only one I've allowed in this missive).

I am positive enough to think that these "newly enlightened" souls would feel themselves far the better for this gained knowledge and a fair proportion would be able to find useful employment and be able to sustain themselves and their families' without resorting to crime again.

Just a thought.

1 comment:

Joseph E. Scalia said...

Here here... It would be so much better to get prisoners to build their minds instead of their muscles! In the US criminals have the opportunity to lift weights and make themselves physically stronger for their next offenses...

About Me

My photo
Mansfield, United Kingdom
I am over 79. Up to a couple of years ago I'd have described myself as fit and decisive. Now I'm not so sure. I am into DIY. If my wife asks me to do something I say; "Do It Yourself".....Click on my Older Posts for more reading. Or try: http://www.chrisbeach.co.uk/viewQuotes.php