Wednesday 24 October 2007

Is swearing necessary?

Effin 'n Blindin.


The following foulmouthed tirade was recently overheard in my local pub when someone was criticised for swearing and upsetting other clients and asked, politely, to leave:


"What the f..k are you f..king people on about? I don't f..king reckon that I f..king swear all that f..king much. And as for me not being able to f..king express my f..king self without f..king swearing all the time, of course I f..king can. It's just that f..king swearing proves to my f..king mates that I am just as f..king hard as what they f..king are, that I am no f..king limp wristed wa.ker and you shouldn't even think of f..king taking on.


"I'm f..king hard I am and the f..king girls just love it, don't they!? If I had my f..king way I would put swearing on the f..king school curriculum but I can't see them c..ts on the twa..ing school boards even f..king considering it. W..kers!" End of tirade.


But why DO people feel that they have a need to swear in order to express themselves? Is it a lack of learning? A failure on their part to grasp the fundamentals of their native language perhaps? Or is it just to give the perpetrator's thinking time between more expressive modes of conversation?


I have need to ask 'cos I find such bad offensive language cropping up on the internet everyday (that would appear to rule out the thinking time element of my reasoned approach to expression).


Is it any wonder that swearing is getting more and more common amongst our young today. And WOMEN!? In my day one never swore in the presence of the young or females, but nowadays, women are sometimes worse than the men!


My advice is: If you can't talk or write without using bad language unnecessarily, then, like the great bard himself, don't write or say anything.



No comments:

About Me

My photo
Mansfield, United Kingdom
I am over 79. Up to a couple of years ago I'd have described myself as fit and decisive. Now I'm not so sure. I am into DIY. If my wife asks me to do something I say; "Do It Yourself".....Click on my Older Posts for more reading. Or try: http://www.chrisbeach.co.uk/viewQuotes.php