Tuesday 23 October 2007

Spare the cuff, create a brat.


A clip in time saved mine.


I'm father of four daughters, granddad to twelve kids and great-granddad to another.

None of them have been in any sort of trouble with the law and none have been spared a timely slap (except perhaps the youngest who's not yet three).

They are all great kids who live happy, fulfilled and balanced lives free of drugs, crime and guilt.

When I was growing up I also knew where the boundaries were and I knew that if I crossed those boundaries I could expect a clip round the ear or a caning. I didn't transgress either. And I truly appreciated knowing just how far I could go.

If I did do something wrong and my parents found out but they allowed me to get away without a slap they actually went DOWN in my estimation and respect.

Kids appreciate knowing their boundaries. Stopping a child's pocket money is no punishment. If deprived of money they might be tempted to get what they want by other means.

To send a child up to his room is no punishment - as a child I found such solitude a great comfort - while talking sharply to a child means absolutely nothing if you haven't the will or the intention of backing it up with a slap now and again. Worse still is when the child KNOWS that you dare not lay a finger on him.

The daftest thing that any government can do is remove the natural domination of children from their parents and teachers.

I am not advocating systematic bullying of children or condoning any sort of physical abuse. All I want to see is a return to the age old corporal punishment in order to keep kids to the right path.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Mansfield, United Kingdom
I am over 79. Up to a couple of years ago I'd have described myself as fit and decisive. Now I'm not so sure. I am into DIY. If my wife asks me to do something I say; "Do It Yourself".....Click on my Older Posts for more reading. Or try: http://www.chrisbeach.co.uk/viewQuotes.php