Saturday 13 October 2007

The TV repair man cometh.

Those much maligned warranties.


There is a rumble in the jungle about the value in taking out extended warranties on newly purchased household goods.

Now normally I would agree that many are a waste of money but sometimes it can be very beneficial.

I purchased a wide screen TV from a local dealer and was offered the shop's extended warranty deal. I turned it down flat as I don't like this sort of thing pushed on me at point of sale.

The salesman accepted my reticence while telling me that he would give me the paperwork for the offer and I could peruse it at my leisure at home.

I took it home and I did read it and in cold light it looked too good to resist so for a few extra quid I took up a three year insurance plan.

We'd had the set about 18 months when it went on the blink. Here is my report:-

15.25 hrs. Set goes on blink.

15.29 hrs. I ring insurers. They say they have an engineer working in our area in the next village and inform me they will ring him and get him to call round just as soon as he possibly can.

15.30 hrs. I put the kettle on for a cuppa.

15.32 hrs. Kettle boiling and I'm just filling teapot when doorbell rings. I answer door to TV engineer!

15.41 hrs. Engineer has repaired set (dry joint) and is putting his tools back in the van.

The tea has just about mashed.

We still have the best part of eighteen months of the warranty left to run but even now I am thinking of extending it yet again. If only to see if they can beat that breakdown to repaired time of 12 minutes!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Mansfield, United Kingdom
I am over 79. Up to a couple of years ago I'd have described myself as fit and decisive. Now I'm not so sure. I am into DIY. If my wife asks me to do something I say; "Do It Yourself".....Click on my Older Posts for more reading. Or try: http://www.chrisbeach.co.uk/viewQuotes.php